Monday, January 26

Meyer Lemon Juice

Please tell me you've heard about Meyer Lemons?  They are so much sweeter than normal lemons.  I had a Meyer lemon tree in my backyard when we lived in Los Angeles, and I got so spoiled.  Since they are only available in Oklahoma from late December to late January, I always make sure I stockpile enough to get me through the year.  Steps are so easy...
Gather supplies

Zest your lemons and freeze separately


30 minutes of work for a year's supply of sweet goodness
  • Make sure to label your zest.  Add 1/2-1 tsp to your recipes to add extra lemon flavor.  It'll darken a little and you might confuse it with orange zest if you forget to label!
  • I stick my jars in the back of the refrigerator.  I've followed these procedures for years and we've never had moldy juice or any other concerns.  I have canned the juice so it could be stored in a cupboard but found this method to be quicker and just as effective (if you have the refrigerator space).
  • For $10, I have enough juice to make a year's worth of lemon goodies: lemon chicken, lemon curd, chicken piccata, salmon, buttermilk pie, etc.

No comments:

Post a Comment